Thursday, September 25, 2008

Matreya



Since I've been plugging things in my last couple of posts, I might as well plug something in which I'm directly involved. Matreya is a rock opera about apotheosis, the becoming of a deity. A work in progress, written by my dear friend Jayne De Mente and scored by song writer and music producer Gilli Moon, it will be presented as a reading on Sunday, November 2 at 1:00 pm at The Mint, a popular LA nightclub. The production will be presented jointly by Jayne's Women's Heritage Project and Gilli's Warrior Girl Music . Proceeds will help to fund Warrior Girl's "Females on Fire" CD series, which promotes empowering women worldwide through their music, and a documentary film on the Durga. On top of many other things I could say (and may say in subsequent posts), I'm very honored to be included in this natal-woman oriented production: I'll be playing the part of Kali. I'm debating right now whether to try painting myself blue or simply use very severe blue eyeshadow - I think I'll do the latter. (Now to find a necklace of skulls...)
Click on the poster for full size.

3 comments:

Abby said...

Oh. My. God!! You're playing Kali!! There is no other goddess, deity, archetype or whatever you want to call it that has had a greater influence on my transition than Kali. It's a long, long story. For now, suffice it to say that I spent 2 years praying to Kali to strip away from me all that is not real. Abby is the result. Clearly, a power not to be trifled with and one for which I will be forever grateful.

Gillian said...

I promise I will play her with dignity - and a tiny touch of humor.

Abby said...

I'm sure you will be a credit to her spirit.